Kansas John Phillip Sousa Junior Honor Band
John Phillip Sousa Foundation Objectives
- To provide opportunities to perform in an honors band by junior high and middle school students at their level of performance.
- To create opportunities for junior high school musicians to further develop their musical and performance skills.
- To provide opportunities for junior high school band directors and students to participate in special instrumental clinics and rehearsals.
- To build support for the junior high level of bands from parents, school administrators and communities,
- To enhance self-esteem and confidence in the junior level band student.
- To motivate gifted band members by providing them with additional opportunities for the development of their special musical skills.
- To provide bonding experiences with student musicians from other schools.
Mission: In support of the John Philip Sousa Foundation, Kansas seeks to provide a Junior Honor Band performance opportunity for qualified middle level band students throughout the state.
Brief History: In 2002, at the suggestion of Robert E Foster, Ed Colson and several local band directors organized and administered the first Kansas John Philip Sousa Jr Honor Band. The first rehearsals and concert were held at the Lied Center on the University of Kansas campus directed by Robert E Foster and Victor Sisk.
Foundation Executive Advisor/Liason: Robert E. Foster
Executive Board: Comprised of a Chair and ten to twelve Kansas band directors who provide leadership and direction to the annual Kansas John Phillip Sousa Junior Honor Band. Members are selected by recommendation and acceptance of executive board members. Chair is determined by the executive board.
Meetings: As needed. Debriefing meeting in February to be set by the Chair.
Voting: When it is necessary to adjust guidelines, a majority must be present at the meeting. Absentee voting will be accepted by email, fax, or mail.
Compensation: All participation is voluntary. No one will receive compensation for carrying out his/her responsibilities. Compensation will be extended for out of pocket expenditures for KS JPS Jr. Honor band operations.
Chair is responsible for organization and supervision of appropriate processes for annual event to include but not restricted to:
- Host organizational meetings
- Recommend honor band clinicians
- Assign additional workers (directors) for the event
- Recommend additions to executive and advisory boards
- Secure facilities for event
- Communicates with Sousa Foundation, Gladys Wright
Advisory Board: An Advisory Board comprised of eight or ten band directors, music merchants and other support personnel will provide direction as needed. By nomination of chair and/or executive board and voted on by the board.
Executive Secretary: Position providing assistance with management of expenses and collected funds through the John Phillip Sousa Foundation. Term is determined by the executive board.
Honor Band Procedures/Participation Requirements:
The KS JPS Junior Honor Band is an independent arm of The John Phillip Sousa Foundation organized and administrated by Kansas band directors seeking to provide an honor band experience for young musicians in the State of Kansas. The annual honor band is sanctioned by the KSHSAA and supports the eligibility and participation guidelines of both the KSHSAA and the Kansas Music Educators Association (KMEA) that involves the same guidelines and
expectations for all Kansas students who wish to participate in any KMEA or KSHSAA sponsored music activities. Three participation rules for these organizations which Kansas JPS Junior Honor Band supports for participation:
- All KS JPS Junior Honor Band students must be a member in good standing of their school band program and be enrolled in the year of participation
- All applications for membership in the KS JPS Junior Honor Band must be signed and submitted by the student’s band director
- Participating schools are members of KSHSAA
Application for audition and membership will be made available online through the Kansas JPS Junior Honor Band website in July.
- Music for auditions available through the website first week of August
- Recordings and applications due to Audition Host in October
- Recording should be on CD in an mp3 format or equivalent
- Materials should be recorded following specified recording expectation.
- A complete application includes: typed application signed by current band director, CD recording, application fee (non-refundable), internet release form.
- Audition CDs will not be catalogued without a complete application
- Recording should be on CD in an mp3 format or equivalent
- No talking allowed on the recording
- Audition must be recorded straight through with minimal pause between scale and music excerpt
- Do not write on the CD
- Label the CD case only, with a removable label
- Label information: Student name, school, instrument
- CD’s are evaluated and chairs assigned first Saturday in November
- CD evaluations are carried out by selected band directors
- Students are assigned in two bands: Blue (advanced) Red (second)
- Music folders are stuffed and assigned following selection process and sent to band directors
- Invoices are sent to each participating band director to be paid to Kansas JPS Junior Honor Band
When: Third weekend of January
Where: University of Kansas, Lied Center
Rehearsal and Concert Schedules:
- Friday evening — Lied Center
- Saturday all day — Lied Center
- Concert Saturday afternoon — Lied Center
Shirts, Plaques, and CD’s
- Kansas JPS Junior Honor Band will provide shirts to all participants as part of the participation fees
- Kansas JPS Junior Honor Band will make pictures of each group and CD recordings of performances available for purchase to all participants
- Purchased CDs and Pictures are sent to students through their band director
Various jobs as assigned:
- Event Music folders stuffed and delivered to band directors
- Collection and sorting of music after event
- Band monitors
- Percussion managers
- Band set up
- Percussion Delivery Truck Driver
- Student lunches
- Director lunches
- CD and Picture sales
- Band shirts
- Program design and production
- Audition Host
- Clinicians Host
- Recognition Awards
- Event Day helpers
- Website maintenance
- Public Relations
- Guest performance for students
- Set up/Food for Friday evening Director’s meeting
- Contact photographer and recording tech
- Mailing CD’s /Pics to band directors
- Signing contract for Lied Center